marlene's meal makeovers

marlene's meal makeovers
marlene on a mission

Monday, March 29, 2010

Cooking Conversation


As March draws to a close, and the only topic in Canada outside of the weather is diet, I have to wonder: Am I the only one finding sanctuary in her kitchen? Yes food is my business, but why do we feel that enjoying our kitchen and all of its lovelies (I refer to my well used pots here) means that a steadfast diet (or as I prefer, weight management program) is unattainable?
Since my diagnosis with cancer, and now my passionate endeavor into entrepreneurship, I find that “owning” your food and food preparation can deliver just the opposite result. I am a strong believer that with the right kitchen methodologies, quality ingredients, and a love of food (Well, we all love food; it’s just a love/hate sort of thing!) we can finally conquer this discussion of diet and move in the direction of “lifestyle change”. Wouldn’t this be a mind-full for us to consider?
Methodologies (yes I have worked in project management….hence my avid use of the term) work, and they need to be part of this discussion and your lifestyle. To explain kitchen methodologies, I refer to one of my famous sayings: “Why peel just one carrot when you can peel all five? The peeler is already dirty, and everything you need is in front of you!” Now, I know what you’re thinking – “This means spending all day on a Sunday in the kitchen! When do I see my family? Not a chance or I would be out myself!”
Let me give just a bit of background to help solidify your belief in my methodology. I was previously a corporate executive with a self-employed husband, so like the modern family; we struggled with mealtime after work. I won’t lie; some of our local hangouts knew us by our first names. Our daughter, who was 3 ½ years old when I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer, was not used to spending time in the kitchen either. We would disguise her food as much as possible just to get her to eat! During that first year of treatment, it occurred to me how much we take fueling our bodies for granted. We just assume that disease won’t happen to us; that we eat enough wholesome food to protect our immunity and our kid’s immunity. Are we sure about that? - I wasn’t. We have all purchased the right foods, but we can all, I am sure, agree that we have tossed many of these choices away for more fast food options. How are we supposed to be food-wise role models for our children while yelling in the microphone box at the drive-through? And so, I wrestled my way in and took back my kitchen. I re-greened the entire space and decided it began with me, not only because of my diagnosis, but also for my daughter and her future. Taking my love for food, the influence of a kitchen-accredited mother (and bakery owning grandmother!), I realized a passion I forgot I really had. I now openly admit that my guilty pleasure is reading cook books instead of novels…OMG!

No comments:

Post a Comment