marlene's meal makeovers

marlene's meal makeovers
marlene on a mission

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Reconstructive surgery post mastectomy...my journey

Why have reconstructive surgery? Well I am in my early 40's and with many more years ahead it only made me realize that how I feel everyday about my body does play an impact on my mind. Many of my friends and even my Mother were shocked to see my prosthesis and feel the weight of what I was carrying around each day. I only have one breast removed, so it was very necessary for me to wear the prosthesis in order to resume to some "normal" clothing attire. My prosthesis weighed close to 5lbs..... and yes I ran my first half marathon wearing it that day....insane....just a little!!!
So my decision was made and my other decision that took me awhile to conceive, was should I remove my "healthy" breast? I was confident after several discussions with my doctor's and doing my own research that the percentage of risk for cancer spreading to the other breast was minimal compared to my other risks. Therefore I decided to leave it, and this way I still have a part of me..... something natural that has feeling, not numb or somewhat "lifeless" as the new tissue(breast).

The process of making these decisions took me through a year's journey, but for those that do know me well, you know that once I have made a decision it is final and we move on!!!

Please remember that my decision to write this journey on my blog was that I am asked so often about this surgery and the stages. So please join me as I write through these next steps each day......and never hesitate to share your thoughts and comments

Best Health
mm

No comments:

Post a Comment