marlene's meal makeovers

marlene's meal makeovers
marlene on a mission

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

reconstructive surgery post mastectomy...my journey

Kid's need to know!

Dakota was 3 years old when I was originally diagnosed and although it broke my heart that I got sick, as I felt like I had let her down, it was what drove me to stay strong and positive through all that has happened.

Surgery is tough, no disguising this! Kid's I feel need to know what is happening, although age appropriate is always best. When I decided on reconstructive surgery we started to prepare Dakota that I would be back in the hospital, I was in for 5 days, and when I came home I would have 3 drain tubes. Dakota new about the tubes because I had them after my mastectomy( this was because my cancer had spread and I had to have surgery in my left arm for my lymphatic system). We explained to Dakota that this surgery was because they were putting Mommy "back together" and we were moving on !!! Dakota was so happy that she went to her kindergarten class and told them ALL that her Mom was getting a "new boob"!!!!!

Well if you can't laugh at a child's honesty then I am not sure what all this journey if for.
Kid's need to know; letting them take the journey with you allows them to respect others, show caring at time of suffering and be prepared better for what is ahead.....even if it is just a "new boob".

Best Health,
mm

No comments:

Post a Comment