marlene's meal makeovers

marlene's meal makeovers
marlene on a mission

Friday, June 11, 2010

Reconstructive surgery post mastectomy...my journey

TIMING.......Isn't everything in life about timing?
My surgery had to be(or preferred) a year post radiation. My treatment consisted of 6 rounds of chemotherapy and 26 rounds of radiation, so once this was completed, then it was preferred that I wait 12 months before moving ahead with any surgery.

My DIEP Flap surgery was therefore 14 months from my last radiation treatment. Some say that they are not ready this early to make a decision and others cannot wait to have the surgery. My feelings are, that this stage of the process is so personal, and when I decided to move forward, then I couldn't wait to get the appointment and begin the journey.

Now I have to return back for surgery two more times. I will need to have surgery for a lift on my right side; this will better match the new breast. This surgery needs to be done after 3 months of recovery from the major surgery. After this you can choose to return for the last surgery, which would be for nipple reconstruction(again for some this is an option).

So timing, from being diagnosed to post surgery is almost 2 years; from this point till last surgery will be 2 1/2 - 3 years..... then "I am off the bus" with just regular check-ups!

So next time you meet someone that is going through cancer or someone who is supporting a loved one through cancer remember..... when you ask if it is over........ it is a long process and the support is not just during treatment!

Thank you to all that have supported my family and I, and continue to cheer us on.... we do love all of you! On Monday I will take a deeper dive into the surgery itself.... again from my personal perspective so please come back and have a coffee with me!

Best Health
mm

2 comments:

  1. Hey Marlene,

    Good luck with this next step. Didn't know about anything about this procedure until you mentioned it, prompting me to do some homework. Thanks for sharing your journey too!

    All the best,

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so happy to see you remind people that support shouldn't end when treatment does. There's lots of healing and a life to reconstruct as well, where support is very much needed!

    Great information and perspective Marlene!

    C

    ReplyDelete