marlene's meal makeovers

marlene's meal makeovers
marlene on a mission

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Another neat way to use Quinoa

Ever heard of Quinoa flakes? They are small, oat-like flakes that are quite light and fluffy and pack all the nutrition punch of quinoa.
You can purchase them at a healthfood store or some grocers may carry it.

I recently started using quinoa flakes in place of bread crumbs in my salmon cakes, turkey meatballs and so on as I've had to cut wheat from my diet (more on that another time). This is a great substitute if you are on a gluten-free or wheat-free diet.

I add it to canned salmon to help hold the patties for a calcium-rich meal:
Add 1/4 cup of quinoa flakes and one egg to a can of salmon. Use entire can, bones and all!
Shape into patties and fry in olive oil for about 3-5 minutes a side.
Serve with hot sauce for a tasty, nutritious meal!

I also add it when I cook oats, granola, in a crumble topping, you name it. It adds a nutritious punch to any recipe where you would normally use oats or bread crumbs.

Give it a try and let us know how it worked for you! Share your discoveries with us!

Best Health,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment