marlene's meal makeovers

marlene's meal makeovers
marlene on a mission

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Give for a future without cancer

While we tend to support events to raise money for hospital equipment or research on how to better fight cancer, what we all need to be thinking about more is how to prevent it ourselves by taking ownership of our own lives.

As a fellow survivor, I know that is what connected Marlene and I right away. Not our need to commiserate about chemo or the horrors of losing a breast... but how to educate people about developing a healthier lifestyle with less toxins, less preservatives and less cancer-causing elements in general. Eat clean, protect the environment and be active. As the moto goes: Good things happen in Threes!

Why do I run? Because I'm still here. Because I am better and because I can. Last year I was too sick to run so I gave generously to a friend doing the run but this year it's my turn to step up again.

This year I will run for myself, for Marlene, for all of the courageous women who have fought cancer but most of all, I will run for my daughter Sydney and her future. I run to set an example to my children about the importance of giving back. And I run with the hope that the next generation will be less than "1 in 9".

Please support our team this weekend and help aid the research to finding a cure.

Thank you and be well,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment