marlene's meal makeovers

marlene's meal makeovers
marlene on a mission

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Apple picking season is here!

Apple picking season!

One of my favourite outings on a September weekend is apple picking. I used to love it before I had kids but now, it gives me an excuse to get out and "play" at a farm without people looking at me like I'm a nut!

There are a whole host of orchards north of the GTA and it’s a great way to teach the kids about supporting the local farm community while having a lot of fun.

This year, with the hotter summer and better growing season, apples are ready earlier so if you’re planning to go, think about going earlier than usual.

For a list of farms in your area, go to http://ontario.farmvisit.com/ or http://www.pickyourown.org/canadaon.htm

For an easy and healthier apple sauce, peel 10 apples and chop into small pieces. Add approx. 3 cups of water, 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon and 1/4 cup of honey (depending on sweetness of apples). Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until apples are tender. For a smooth sauce, pulse with a hand blender. Or just stir well with a wooden spoon for a chunkier apple sauce.

Be sure to save some for my "Mighty Muffins" recipe featured in the October newsletter!

Happy picking!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment