marlene's meal makeovers

marlene's meal makeovers
marlene on a mission

Friday, July 2, 2010

reconstructive surgery post mastectomy...my journey

Followed up with my surgeon on Wednesday at Toronto General and discussed next steps! As you know my decision was just to remove my "effected" breast and the choice to reconstruct that breast with the DIEP Flap surgery. Now that my surgery has been successfully completed, I am admittedly very satisfied with the results.

It is sort of like being pregnant.....I know seems like a ridiculous analogy but it is. When your belly grows it eventually drops just before birth; well with the reconstructive new breast....it needs to drop and then loose some of it's swelling from surgery to see just how it compares to the other side. Well, now 8 weeks post surgery I can say that it looks great but it still is not symmetrical. The next surgery, scheduled for November(6 months post), will be to reduce the breast on the other side and lift to match. During this surgery they can also use tissue to add a nipple on the "new" breast( one night in the hospital).

There are some hollow areas in my new breast that can be injected with any fat that I may have available on the sides of my abdominal area during this next procedure. My understanding is that I would need an additional 3 weeks for recovery again....mainly no major lifting.

So I am off to start running again getting ready for my next marathon this fall as I have been given the clearance to get moving!!!

No more excuses folks and working in the kitchen the amount I do, means I need to workout even that much more

Best Health
mm

No comments:

Post a Comment